Hi friends! One of the most extravagant purchases you’ll make for your wedding is your dress. But sometimes we need to be realistic about prices. If you’ve got a strict budget to stick to, here are a few details that tend to be budget-busters. Focus instead on less costly styles, which can be just as beautiful!
- Ballgowns – These dresses are a classic, but simply require more fabric than a slender silhouette. Aim for something narrower if you’re trying to save some bucks.
- Trains – Again, a long train = more fabric. If the train is scalloped, embroidered, or beaded, expect to pay even more. Try nixing the train altogether. A long veil can give a similar illusion.
- Heavy Construction – You know those gowns that are so heavily constructed they can stand up by themselves? That’s because of built-ins like boning, layers of lining and fabric…which all cost more!
- Handwork – Beading, pickups and the like will add to the cost. Look for a dress without embellishments.
- Lace – Lace is still huge in wedding gowns, but unfortunately it’s pricey. If you really love the look, opt for a lace trim or lace accents to bring down the price.
Separates are a big trend right now in wedding gowns and can often be more cost effective. You can mix and match to get a better fit so you don’t have to spend as much on alterations.
Header image by Simone Photography