Hi friends! Less face it: booze is often an integral part of a wedding, But it can sometimes be confusing to navigate the logistics. Here are 7 key questions you should ask whomever is handling your bar, whether that’s your caterer, in-house contact or an independent supplier:
- How many bartenders will be in place? Budget permitting and depending on the size of your event, I recommend at least two bars staffed with two bartenders. You can also equip servers with trays of champagne or wine to help mitigate the crowds.
- What will the glassware look like? Ask to see samples. If ice will be stored in view, ask about how that will be arranged.
- How will I be charged for sodas, juices and bottled water? It varies from place to place. Some will include this in your drink package while others will charge according to consumption.
- What about opened bottles of liquor? Discuss whether you’ll be charged for bottles that are opened but not finished. Some venues charge by the bottle regardless while others charge by the tenth of a bottle.
- How will bartenders deal with guests who’ve had too much to drink? This is also a good time to discuss any other serving preferences. Many couples, for example, like to avoid serving shots at the bar.
- How will gratuities be handled? Ideally you will be in charge of gratuities. You don’t want a guest to have to pull out their wallet at the event, so be clear that there shouldn’t be any tip jars at the bar.
- How does insurance work? An important but oft-overlooked detailed! Discuss weather the venue or caterer carries liquor liability insurance. Find out whether you’ll need to take out an additional policy.
Header image via Amy and Stuart Photography