Hi friends! Happy New Year! I don’t know about you, but I’m so excited for 2018 and what it has in store. And I know for many of you newly engaged couples, 2018 means the year of wedding planning! With that in mind, here are a few suggested New Year’s resolutions for you and your future spouse.
- “We will enjoy the moment.” Meaning, you won’t go straight into wedding planning madness. Take a little time to simply enjoy being engaged before you dive into dates, venues, dress shopping and the like. You’ll never get this magical time back.
- “We will communicate. Everything.” Communication is key to any relationship, but it’s especially important when planning your big day. Be sure to discuss your vision for your wedding with one another and involve each other in the decision-making process. Most of all, don’t let things fester – talk about it!
- “We will not go into wedding-related debt.” Set a budget, and stick to it. Trust me, no matter how Instagram-worthy that dreamy venue on the hilltop is, going into debt over your wedding is simply not worth it. And it’s certainly no way to start a marriage.
- “We will not let wedding planning consume our lives.” Yes, your wedding will be a big part of your life for the time being but it shouldn’t absolutely consume you (until maybe the few weeks leading up to the big event – that’s when you get a pass). Make an effort to still keep up with friends, family, your career or whatever else is important to you.
- “We will focus on our relationship.” Your relationship shouldn’t be entirely about your wedding. Be sure to spend some time and energy on each other. Schedule weekly date nights, plan a mini-getaway or do anything else you love that doesn’t involve wedding planning. Above all, keep in mind that your end goal isn’t just your wedding, but a marriage.
Cheers to 2018!
Header image by Elizabeth Messina