Hi friends! One of the more exciting tasks for a bride-to-be is shopping for the wedding dress. Who wouldn’t be excited to play dress up for one of the biggest days of their lives?
Of course, shopping for a wedding dress isn’t exactly as simple as it might seem on Say Yes to the Dress. Here are some of my top tips for success:
- Bring plenty of pictures. It’s often hard to explain to a stylist what you have in mind and, you know what they say, a picture’s worth a thousand words! Bring examples of dresses you like and don’t like, and point out exactly what you do and don’t like about them. This should help narrow down your preferences and style.
- Wear decent undergarments. Not only do proper undergarments alter the look of your dress, but remember that trying on wedding dresses isn’t a solo operation. So wear underwear you won’t be embarrassed to be seen in. A strapless bra is also probably a good idea.
- Heading to a sample sale? Dress accordingly. If you’re planning on buying your dress at one of those sample sales to save some dollars (which is always a good thing!) consider wearing some sort of unitard or swimsuit under your clothes. Trust me, those sales can get hectic so you may need to change in the aisles!
- Bring a camera. If your bridal salon allows it, snap plenty of photos of yourself in the dress you’ve chosen. That way, you can show anyone close to you that wasn’t able to attend the appointment and show vendors like your cake baker or florist to give them a sense of your wedding theme and style. You can also use photos, along with a fabric swatch, to shop for accessories.
- Stay calm. Dress shopping can certainly be overwhelming, so try to relax as much as possible. It’s very possible you don’t find your dress on your first try, and that’s ok! It may take a few trips to a couple different salons, but rest assured you’ll find something perfect for you.
Header image by Jay Lawrence Goldman