5 Words of Wisdom for Your Wedding Day
There are a few rules that I’ve found apply to all weddings, no matter how many I plan. Some things, whether the wedding is big or small, always ring true. After decades of experience, here are a few of my words of wisdom for your wedding day.
1. It really does go by so fast. You’ll hear that from friends who have wed before you and it’s true. Take a moment before you walk down the aisle to take it all in. And take a moment during your first dance to look around and live in the moment. Be sure to take deep breaths throughout the day to pause and capture the memory. You’ll savor these moments forever.
2. Don’t sweat the small stuff. No matter how hard you work, how much you plan, or how much money you spend, somethings are just out of your control (like the weather or your eccentric uncle). Don’t let little details or mishaps take away from the big moments, the massive amounts of love and joy in the room or the overall experience.
3. Be kind. Stress can get the better of all of us. But trust me, you’ll regret those snarky comments to mom or quick snaps to a staff member in the heat of the moment when the pressure is on. Kindness really does set the tone for the entire experience for all your guests and it starts with the couple. Your energy translates quickly so keep it cool and be kind.
4. Dance! If you’re a bride, dance. If you want a dance party then you’ve got to dance too. Whether or not you think you’re Beyonce on the dance floor doesn’t matter. If the couple isn’t cutting a rug, the guests are much less likely too. If you envision a big party then you’ve got to be willing to be the center of it all and celebrate as big as you expect your guests too. They will follow suit.
5. Eat. Eat before the wedding when you’re getting ready and do your best to eat at the wedding. Ask your hotel or caterer to bring a round of appetizers to your seats during dinner service (so you can try everything!) and be sure to have a few bites of your wedding meal. You worked hard to design it, chances are it’s comprised of foods you love and this is a long day (perhaps with alcohol) so be sure to get food in your system to keep you going late into the evening.
Image by Amy and Stuart.