I’m sure you’ll agree that the very best events are those that weave personal details in from beginning to end. This is especially true of weddings – after all, the day is all about you and your spouse-to-be. Sharing the story of your love and personalities makes it that much more special for your guests. But personal details can make all the difference to other events too, from milestone birthdays to showers and even corporate events. So if you want to make your event more personal, where do you start?
As a wedding planner, part of my role is teasing out those little nuggets from my clients when I meet them and translating them into an experience for the guests. It all begins with asking questions and really listening to the answers. If you’re at the start of your own event planning process, take a moment to answer these questions. Then let your answers guide you, so you can make your event more personal and memorable.
Your history is always a good place to start because it’s so uniquely yours. Childhood especially is often a great place to find nostalgic details that your guests will love.
- Where did you grow up?
- Were there any special places you went to as kids? (For example, summer camps, vacation homes, family trips.)
- Did you have any favorite foods as a child?
- Do you have any special family stories or heirlooms you want to incorporate?
For a wedding, engagement, or anniversary party, you should also ask yourself questions about the history of your relationship.
- Where and how did you meet?
- What did you do on your first date?
- Have you taken any special trips together?
You don’t just have to look to the past. Unique events will often share some element of the host or hosts’ everyday life with their guests. For example, you might serve food from a favorite restaurant or make reference to an activity you love to do together.
- What is your favorite bar or restaurant?
- What’s your go-to restaurant order or takeaway? Your favorite foods, drinks, and snacks?
- Do you support a particular team or sport?
- What do you like to do on weekends? For couples, what do you like to do together?
- What are your hobbies?
- Do you have a pet?
- If you were hosting a dinner party, what would you always include?
Likes and loves
Another great source of inspiration is the things that you enjoy, either as individuals or together as a couple.
- Do you have a color or colors that you gravitate towards?
- What is your favorite season and what do you love about it?
- Do you have a particular style when it comes to interiors or fashion?
- What are your favorite places, both in your hometown and beyond?
- Do you have a favorite flower?
- Who is your favorite artist or artistic style or period?
- What is your favorite book or film?
- Is there a song lyric, poem, or quote that particularly resonates with you?
That’s ‘so you’
Finally, there are those quirky little details and in-jokes that are instantly recognizable to those who love you. The things that will make them think: ‘that’s so you’ when they see them at your event.
- Do you have a nickname?
- What about guilty pleasures – is there one you have (or share)?
- Do you collect anything?
- Is there anything that would immediately remind a friend or family member of you?
- How do you want your event to feel?
- What’s most important to you about an event?
One final tip? If you’re looking to really play up the personality of your event, the key is in the details. Those little items don’t have to cost a lot. Take the time to get them right and you’ll always be able to make your event more personal!