Ways to Be Eco-Conscious in Your 2023 Wedding
As a wedding planner, I know that planning a wedding can be a beautiful and exciting process, but it’s also a time when your choices can really make an impact on the environment. With the rise of eco-consciousness, more and more couples are opting for sustainable practices when planning their big day. And the great news is, that with a bit of creativity and planning, you can have a breathtaking wedding while considering the earth too.
Here are some tips on how to plan an eco-friendly wedding in 2023:
1. Choose a venue with sustainable practices. Look for venues that prioritize conservation and have implemented practices such as recycling, water and energy conservation, and use of local and organic products. Not only will this reduce the environmental impact of your wedding but also support local business.
2. Opt for seasonal and locally-sourced flowers and produce. Instead of importing exotic flowers or produce from far away, choose flowers and fruits that are in season and grown locally. Not only will this reduce the carbon footprint of your wedding, but it will also add a touch of personality and a sense of place to your event.
3. Embrace digital invitations and other paperless options. With the wide range of technology available today, digital invitations, RSVPs, and thank-you notes are a great way to reduce paper waste.
4. Rent, borrow, or vintage shop instead of buying. Take a look at what you can rent, borrow or vintage shop instead of buying new things, such small decor touches, a rehearsal dinner dress, or accessories. This can not only save money, but it can also reduce your environmental impact.
5. Embrace an eco-friendly menu. By choosing menu options that are locally sourced and organic, you can not only reduce your carbon footprint but also ensure that your guests will be eating delicious and healthy food. Consider what’s sustainable when planning your tasting too.
6. Replace cut flowers with alternatives. Consider the waste of cut flowers for one night. Opt instead for candles, balloons, planted greens and flowers, things guests can take home as gifts at the end of the night. And if flowers are in your future, work with a third party to donate them after the day to extend their lifespan for others to enjoy.
Planning an eco-friendly wedding may take some extra effort and a bit of creativity, but with a bit of planning, you can have a stunning wedding that is beautiful, memorable, and easier on the environment. Not only that but, if you choose to educate your guests on your choices, you will be setting an example for others. It’s a win-win situation for you and your future family generations to come!