Fall Wedding Location Ideas
When it comes to fall weddings, it’s all about location, location, location! After all, one of the best reasons to have a wedding in September, October, or even November is the incredible natural backdrop. The turning leaves in shades of fiery scarlet, burnt orange, and amber make for amazing photographs and also mean you don’t have to go overboard when it comes to decor. Let Mother Nature take center stage!
Of course, autumnal scenery is different depending on where you are in the country (or the world). New England, of course, is famous for its picturesque autumn foliage, but other states to consider include Kentucky, California, Utah, Michigan, Colorado, and the Pacific Northwest. Be sure to check with your venue before booking to find out the optimal time of year for leaf peeping. And, while most venues are suitable as a fall wedding location, there are some venue types that particularly lend themselves to the season. Here are a few good ideas, along with some of the best fall wedding location options of each type.
Orchards. What could be more perfect as a fall wedding location than an orchard? It’s the perfect backdrop for a ceremony during this harvest season. Plus you’ll have all the benefits of farm scenery, field-to-table cuisine, and rustic reception spaces. What better excuse to serve apple cider cocktails or include apples in your decor?
Orchard wedding venues to explore:
- Alyson’s Orchard, Walpole, NH
- Meadow Barn at Country Orchards, Harrisburg, SD
- Seminary Hill Orchard & Cidery, Callicoon, NY
- Quonquont Farm, Whately, MA
- Ya Ya Farm & Orchard, Longmont, CO
Barn and farmhouse wedding venues. If you love the idea of laidback rustic chic for your fall wedding, then a barn wedding is the way to go! Barns come in a huge variety of styles and sizes, from traditional red barns to light and bright modern spaces. It’s all about finding one that fits your style and has a gorgeous setting, especially at this time of year.
Barn wedding venues to explore:
- Santa Margarita Ranch, Santa Margarita, CA
- Gedney Farm, New Marlborough, MA
- Figueroa Mountain Farmhouse, Santa Ynez, CA
- The Enchanted Barn, Hillsdale, WI
- The Barn at Moody Mountain Farm, Wolfeboro, NH
- The Farmhouse at Ojai, Ojai, CA
Wineries. Whether you’re a pair of oenophiles or not, a winery wedding venue provides an elegant and tranquil backdrop for your wedding that will be especially beautiful in the fall. Plus, fall is already a great time of year for wine tastings, so why not embrace it and create a destination wedding experience for your guests? Before you book, ask when the harvest takes place so you have an idea of what the vines will look like when.
Winery wedding venues to explore:
- HammerSky Vineyards, Paso Robles, CA
- Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards, North Garden, VA
- Chateau St. Jean Winery, Kenwood, CA
- King Family Vineyards, Crozet, Virginia
- Wolf Mountain Vineyards, Dahlonega, GA
Mountain resorts. While winter is always a favorite season for getting married at mountain and ski resorts, fall is just as lovely! While you won’t have snowy scenes, you’ll be able to enjoy 360-degree views of rolling hills and changing colors. Mountain resorts often have cozy reception spaces, so you have the best of both, indoors and outdoors!
Mountain resort wedding venues to explore:
- The Little Nell, Aspen, CO
- Scribner’s Lodge, Hunter, NY
- Sleeping Lady Resort, Leavenworth, WA
- Beano’s Cabin at Beaver Creek, Avon, CO
- Mountain Top Inn & Resort, Chittenden, VT
Now that you’ve seen these fall wedding location ideas, will you be saying “I do” to a fall wedding?
Image by Elizabeth Messina